Saturday, March 30, 2013

Laundry

The mere word makes me want to run and hide. Blech. And why is it that during the winter there seems to be four times the amount of laundry than during the summer. One would think that because we don't get out in the heat and all that we would have LESS laundry during the winter. But noooo, we have four times as much. It's called layering. Ugh!

I feel like I have never ending piles of laundry right now. I don't mean just a pile or two...I mean like five or six loads waiting to be done...always. When I was single I could go two weeks without doing laundry basically. Seriously...I had enough clothes to go at least two weeks without having to do a load of laundry. When I got married I could go a week for the both of us. Now that I have kids...daily...and even sometimes then it is multiple loads daily. I can't get used to this...although one would think a person would after over six years of it!

Several years ago I made a promise to myself that unless I could actually finish a load of laundry completely then I just wasn't going to do it right then. I finally realized that by folding the laundry immediately after it was dry I no longer had much ironing to do (which is the last thing I want to be doing other than cleaning bathrooms). So, I have done really well with this up until this last six months or so. I am just laundried out (not sure that is even a real word but it is today in my book!).

A few weeks ago I decided I was going to try and do at least one load of laundry a day. I have done okay with that other than the days that are super busy. I am not sure that is going to be a great system for me, but it seems to be helping. I tend to have a few days I get a load done and then a day or two where I do several loads. It's working for me so far and while doing laundry yesterday I came up with an idea that just may make it easier for me. So the next few weeks I am going to figure out how to make that work.

I have one of those laundry sorter kind of things. The one that has three bins and you can separate the laundry as you put it in the dirty clothes. Well, I don't just do three different types of clothes. I need at least two of those sorters, possibly three. Then I think I would have the perfect set up for me to be able to do a load a day without having a ton of stuff all over the place.

One of the things that REALLY annoys me about how our laundry area in this house is set up is that my dirty laundry is pretty much right out in the open. I really don't like that. The washer and dryer are in a closet at the end of a hall in our kitchen. That whole little hall is such wasted space to me (one opf my huge pet peeves about houses is wasted space in the floorplan!). So, I have been trying to find creative ways to utilize that space without it looking cluttered and crazy. Since we are just renting I can't really do anything permanent so this has been a wee bit of a challenge. But I think after my little light bulb moment the other day I may have a workable solution now at least! The hall is wide enough for sure, so now I just have to keep an eye out for another one of the laundry sorters that kind of already matches what I have. Each full section is a load for me so it would work out perfectly to have my white, colors, darks, reds, delicates, jeans, pants, light towels and dark towels on in separate bins. I may try it out with some smaller laundry baskets or something for a while to see how it works. Or maybe I could find a way to do something like one of these awesome ideas.





Laundry Basket Dresser from Infarrently Creative

 Not sure who to credit as the link on Pinterest is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment